Re-Opening Pool Rules and Regulation
DOWNTOWN BRANCH YMCA POOL
- DAYS OF OPERATION: MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
- TIMES OF USE: 12:30PM TO 7:30PM
TYPES OF USE: LAP SWIM AND YMCA SUMMER CAMP
- 3 LAP SWIMMERS AT A TIME BEING MINDFUL OF SOCIAL DISTANCING
- 45 MINUTES ALLOTED PER SESSION
- AVAILABLE MONDAY AND FRIDAYS 12:30PM TO 7:15PM
- AVAILBLE TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY 4:30PM TO 7:30PM
- PRE-REGISTATION FOR DAY AND TIME EITHER IN PERSON OR TELEPHONE.
- PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY ONE DAY & TIME IN ADVANCE AND FOR SELF ONLY.
- LAP SWIM AVAILABLE TO YMCA MEMBERS ONLY.
YMCA SUMMER CAMP
- SET ASIDE ON TUESDAYS, WEDNESDAYS, THURSDAYS 12:30PM TO 3:45PM
- NO MORE THAN 20 YMCA SUMMER CAMPERS IN THE POOL AREA AT A TIME AND CAMP COUNSELORS WILL ASSIST WITH ROTATIONS AND POOL DECK SUPERVISION.
- NO FREE SWIM, SWIM LESSONS, GROUP AQUA AEROBICS, NOR BIRTHDAY PARTIES AT THIS TIME DUE TO SOCIAL DISTANCING AND CAPACITY PARAMETERS.
- YMCA WILL NOT PROVIDE TOWELS, FLOTATION DEVICE, POOL TOYS AND THE LIKES.
- GUIDELINES WILL BE MODIFIED GOING FORWARD WITH AN EYE TOWARDS INCREASING ACCESS AND ACTIVITIES WITH SAFETY AND SANITATION BEING PARAMOUNT.
Drowning poses a considerable risk for youth and adults, especially those from underserved populations. The statistics are sobering, but drowning deaths are preventable.
Safety Around Water is an independent program designed to reach children at risk of drowning and teach them basic water safety skills, but the skills it develops overlap with those taught in the Swim Basics stage of YMCA Swim Lessons. Students who complete Safety Around Water are prepared to transition directly into swim lessons to continue the learning.
Accompanied by a parent*, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence- building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision.
Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: swim, float, swim—sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit—and jump, push, turn, grab.
In Water Acclimation, Water Movement, and Water Stamina, students are taught the recommended skills for all to have around water including safe water habits, underwater exploration, and how to swim to safety and exit in the event of falling into a body of water. Activities, games, and drills, geared to reinforce learning, are utilized heavily as students progress in this skill-based approach to swimming.
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
In Stroke Introduction, Stroke Development and Stroke Mechanics, swimmers are introduced to the four competitive swimming strokes as well as rescue skills and healthy lifestyle habits.
Swimming not only saves lives, it builds self-confidence and develops the whole person – spirit, mind and body. We offer a wide range of swimming options for the whole family. Classes are divided into ability groups and trained instructors emphasize personal safety, swimming skills, endurance and social skills while guiding students with praise and encouragement.
Taught in our heated pools, fall and winter swim lessons are a great opportunity to prepare for peak swim season and gain skills that can save lives year-round.
Call the Downtown Y at 940-322-7816 for information on swim lessons.
Group or private swim lessons, offered year round
Location: Downtown Y indoor swimming pool
Call the Downtown Y (940-322-7816) to arrange a group or private lesson. We teach kids AND adults to swim. It’s never too late to learn to swim.
DOWNTOWN Y WATER AEROBICS
A warm-water class covering the basic principles of exercise, body posture and joint protection. The class will work on increasing strength and flexibility and improving range of motion for activities of daily living. Water dumbbells, noodles and music are used. Classes are held on a monthly basis.
Pool parties at the indoor pool at the Downtown Y (1010 9th St) can be scheduled by calling 940-322-7816.
Additional rooms are also available for birthday parties, bridal showers, baby showers, family reunions, etc. Call the Bill Bartley Branch Family YMCA at 761-1000 for more information.